There is the homepage in Russian
THE COMPUTER SYSTEM DEPATMENT
THE SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE DEPATMENT
chief - Kopytov Mickail Anatolievich
Post:Computing Center, Russian Academy of Sciences
40 Vavilov str., Moscow 117967, GSP-1, Russia
Short historical information
The Computer System department (CSD) (chief -Mikhailov Guri Mikhailovitch) and the Software Maintenance department (SMD)(chief - Kopytov Mickail Anatolievich) were the biggest departments of the Computing Centre of the Russian Academy of Scienses (CCRAS). The staff of the departments (100-120 specialists) ensured:
CSD and SMD served the multiaccess systems for a lot of institutes of Academy of Sciences and other organizations.
In 1986, for example, there were 427 specialists of the CCRAS, 612 users from 42 institutes of the RAS, 71- from 8 universities and 112 - from 29 other organizations among the CCRAS users.
- the hardware and software maintenance and supporting;
- the operator service;
- the input data preparation for users;
- advising users about the computer using and programming;
- accounting of the computer's resources, matching of statistics about computer run.
CCRAS is an organization where the first samples of native computers had been installed. The specialists of the CSD and SMD co-operated especially fruitfully with implementators of the computing systems from the Institute of radix mechanics and computing machinery named after S.A. Lebedev (IRMCM) for which CCRAS was like a testing ground. Specialists from the CSD and SMD took part in a series of implementation hardware and its software.
Since 1993 a fundamental updating of the computational base has been conducted in CCRAS:
The use of advanced computer systems, licensed software, new modern resources and methods of software supporting makes it possible to fulfil the above-mentioned functions with less number of specialists.
- has been developed local network ETHERNET, which joined the platforms SUN, DEC, PARSYTEC, IBM PC etc;
- the network of the CCRAS has been attached to INTERNET through the South Moscow backbone;
- the information computer system (ICS CCRAS) is being created in the framework of the designs of the Russian fund of fundamental research (RFFR).
The development of ICS CCRAN is realized by CSD, SMD and other parts of CCRAS, Sector of Information and Computer Systems Disign specifically (chief of the sector M.Kulagin).
During 1994-96 three major designs for RFFR grants were done and are being performed now.
- 1994 year - "The local area network (LAN) of the CCRAS: development, maintenance supporting";
- 1995 year - "The connecting LAN CCRAS with Moscow backbone";
- 1996 - 1998 years - "The development of ICS CCRAN for fundamental and applied research".
The main specialists of the departments are:
G.Mikhailov, Y.Privezentcev, M.Kopytov, Y.Rogov, S.Sorokin. The main specialists of the Sector of Information and Computer Systems Disign are: M.Kulagin, I.Baikova, A.Metiolkin, P.Plechov .
Return to CCRAS homepage